Welcome to Lake City and Hinsdale County, Colorado!
Jagged peaks pierce deep blue skies while wildlife teems in rocky canyons and on high valley floors. Crystalline rivers flow from altitude while unique geology promises adventure and spurs endless exploration. And continuously, within this wondrous dreamscape, whispers from the past mingle with voices of the present in the cool, rarefied air of remote Hinsdale County and its historic town of Lake City.
Encompassing more than 1,000 square miles of untamed beauty, “ah factors” are a constant in this northeastern corner of Colorado’s mystical San Juan Mountains. From climbers, fishermen, hunters, 4-wheel enthusiasts, and hikers to bikers, horseback riders, birdwatchers, and Old West history buffs, magical moments are spun into heirloom memories passed on and recreated generation after generation.
Plan Your Trip By Season
LAKE CITY IS UNIQUE BECAUSE…
- Lake City is the only town in Hinsdale County.
- Lake San Cristobal is the second largest natural lake in the state.
- Hinsdale County is made up of 96% public lands. That means that we have the fewest miles of roads per person, plus the most land area located far from roads, making Hinsdale County the most remote county in the lower 48.
- Hinsdale County is made up of 4 wilderness areas and 2 wilderness study areas.
- We are located at the crossroads of two major scenic byways: Silver Thread Scenic Byway (Hwy 149, 2 wheel drive) and Alpine Loop Backcountry Byway (CR 30/20, 2-wheel & 4WD).
- We are a designated National Historic District since 1978, boasting over 200 historic structures.
- We have reconstructed over 500 feet of original boardwalks in our historic downtown.
- We have hundreds of miles of hiking and off-road trails.
- Lake City has the most beautiful night skies and nothing to keep you from being able to enjoy it with a naked eye.
- We have a true quiet, small-town feel with no stoplights, elevators (or buildings over two stories tall), or commercial chains or major retailers.